List of Events for the 2020 Garden Season
|Meeting||Location||Date and time||Comments|
|Kick off meeting and registration.||St. Barnabas Church, undercroft||Saturday March 21, 13:00-15:00||Seedy Saturday at Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Centre|
|Work day 1||St. Barnabas garden||Saturday April 18 9:00-12:00||Alternate date for bad weather Saturday, April 25|
|Weeding and clean-up 1||St. Barnabas garden||Wednesday May 20 18:00-19:00||HSCA farmers’ market|
|Weeding and clean-up 2||St. Barnabas garden||Saturday June 20, 10:00-12:00|
|Weeding and clean-up 3||St. Barnabas garden||Wednesday July 22, 18:00-19:00||HSCA farmers’ market|
|Weeding and clean-up 4||St. Barnabas garden||Wednesday, Aug 26, 18:00-19:00|
|Work day 2: Bed rebuild/repair; Weeding and clean-up 5||Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Centre||Saturday Oct 3, 10:00-12:00|
|Wrap-up meeting: Final clean up & Bed rebuild & repair||St. Barnabas Church, undercroft & garden||Saturday Oct 24, 10:00-12:00||Coffee & tea|
- Kick-off meeting. Attendance is MANDATORY. Completed registration forms, annual rental fee and deposit (if new to garden) must be given to the Treasurer by a gardener (or a proxy) for each bed.
- Work day 1; Setting up the garden for the season. Mulch weeding & refreshing; rain barrel set up; check rain water run-off piping and replace as needed; reset loose paving slabs; check for evidence of hares in garden and repair and gaps on fencing; general tidying. April 25 is the alternate day should bad weather prevent these tasks from being completed.
- Weeding and clean-up, sessions 1-4. Weed mulched area and communal vegetable, fruit and herb areas, cobble path to main (east) entrance, and paving stone drive way. Changing paper filters rain barrels. Inspect fruit trees and raspberry canes, pruning and removing pests (aphids etc.). Turning compost (bin 1 to 2; bin 2 to 3 as directed by committee).
- Work day 2; Bed rebuild/repair raised beds, and weeding and clean-up. Replace rotted and badly warped boards. Relay loose concrete block walls.
- Wrap-up meeting. Garden committee will review the season, and listen to comments and ideas from gardeners.
Shared Tasks for 2020 season
- Clean rain barrel sieves, replace paper towel, and check the taps are closed
- If barrels have recently emptied or overflowed, add a teaspoon of oil to prevent mosquitoes from hatching
- Shift and / or turn Compost as indicated on signs
- Weed or use vinegar/salt spray (found in shed) on Front Path
- Check and secure loose paving stones
- General tidying and sweeping
- sweep mulch off of pavement
- dispose of any trash blown into the garden
- turn buckets upside down, ensure nothing is gathering standing water
Shared Garden Areas – Weed, Water, Monitor for pests
- Perennial Beds A&B
- Perennial Beds C&D
- South Entry Area
- Fruit Tree Area 1
- Fruit Tree Area 2
- Food Box Donation Beds
- Raspeberry Patch behind the scout hall