List of Events for the 2021 Garden Season
The schedule below will be updates as needed throughout the year. Covid gathering restrictions may mean we cannot hold a full workday, in which case, we will split the work over two days, and ask everyone to confirm which one they can attend. Please rsvp to those emails!
|Meeting||Location||Date and time||Comments|
|Kick off meeting and registration.||Zoom!||Saturday March 27, 10:00-12:00||Seedy Saturday is virtual|
|Work day 1 + Seed Exchange!|
|St. Barnabas garden||Saturday April 17 10:00-11:00||Alternative date for bad weather: Saturday, April 24|
|Work day 1 + Seed Exchange!|
Option 2 **NEW**
|St. Barnabas garden||Tuesday April 20th, 18:00 – 19:00||Alternative date for bad weather: Tuesday, April 27|
|Masks & tasks: Weeding and clean-up 1||St. Barnabas garden||Wednesday May 19, 18:00-19:00|
|Masks & tasks: Weeding and clean-up 2||St. Barnabas garden||Saturday June 19,10:00-12:00|
|Masks & tasks: Weeding and clean-up 3||St. Barnabas garden||Wednesday July 21,18:00-19:00|
|Masks & tasks: Weeding and clean-up 4||St. Barnabas garden||Wednesday, Aug 25, 18:00-19:00|
|Work day 2: Bed rebuild/repair; Weeding and clean-up 5||Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Centre||Saturday Oct 2,10:00-12:00|
|Wrap-up meeting: Final clean-up & Bed rebuild & repair||St. Barnabas Church, undercroft & garden||Saturday Oct 23,10:00-12:00||Coffee & tea, pending public health orders|
- Kick-off meeting.
- Work day 1; Setting up the garden for the season. Mulch weeding & refreshing; rain barrel set up; check rain water run-off piping and replace as needed; reset loose paving slabs; check for evidence of hares in garden and repair and gaps on fencing; general tidying. April 24 is the alternate day should bad weather prevent these tasks from being completed.
- Weeding and clean-up, sessions 1-4. Weed mulched area and communal vegetable, fruit and herb areas, cobble path to main (east) entrance, and paving stone drive way. Changing paper filters rain barrels. Inspect fruit trees and raspberry canes, pruning and removing pests (aphids etc.). Turning compost (bin 1 to 2; bin 2 to 3 as directed by committee).
- Work day 2; Bed rebuild/repair raised beds, and weeding and clean-up. Replace rotted and badly warped boards. Relay loose concrete block walls.
- Wrap-up meeting. Garden committee will review the season, and listen to comments and ideas from gardeners.
Shared Tasks for 2021 season
- Clean rain barrel sieves, replace paper towel, and check the taps are closed
- If barrels have recently emptied or overflowed, add a teaspoon of oil to prevent mosquitoes from hatching
- Shift and / or turn Compost as indicated on signs
- Weed or use vinegar/salt spray (found in shed) on Front Path
- Check and secure loose paving stones
- General tidying and sweeping
- sweep mulch off of pavement
- dispose of any trash blown into the garden
- turn buckets upside down, ensure nothing is gathering standing water
Shared Garden Areas – Weed, Water, Monitor for pests
- Perennial Beds A&B
- Perennial Beds C&D
- South Entry Area
- Fruit Tree Area 1
- Fruit Tree Area 2
- Food Box Donation Beds
- Raspeberry Patch behind the scout hall