The Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Garden would like to invite community gardeners in our neighbourhood to participate in a workshop that we have organized through the Community Garden Resource Network. It’s called “Gardening 101 for Community Gardeners.” The workshop will be held at the Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Garden starting at 7:00 p.m., Monday, May 13.
The workshop is aimed at beginning gardeners, but ‘newish’ gardeners would also find the program worthwhile. The workshop leader is Janet Melrose, master gardener, Garden Animator for the Calgary Horticultural Society, and one of the leaders of the Community Garden Resource Network.
The cost is $10 per person.
The HSCG is located at Sunnyhill Lane and 9 Avenue NW. It’s below McHugh Bluff and just to the east of 4A Street NW and the Hollicky Community Orchard.
If you would like to attend, please email Richard Smith, HSCG Garden Leader firstname.lastname@example.org
- · 1 hour talk with demo’s
- · ½ hour Q & A
- · ½ hour participant activities: practicing reading seed packages, taking soil temperature; seeding techniques and proper transplanting methods,
What will be covered?
- · Calgary’s growing season for edibles – brrr!
- · Soil needs – if the nutrients aren’t in the soil they aren’t in the food you grow.
- · What to grow and when – and why
- · Watering – needs of various plants and how best
- · Weeding – the why’s, how and when to reduce the amount you weed
- · Weather Protection – from rain, wind, hail and frost.
- · Harvest- if you don’t eat it is a waste!
- · Participants bring along a seed packet and a transplant or two plus trowel